Tuesday 4 November 2014

November

Where did October go?  Here we are in November already, the time is just flying by.  Time to share The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady  and the Country Diary Book of Crafts.  They are two of my favourite books some of the paintings/drawings are exquisite and the poems and observations that go alongside are a real delight.





The Anglo-Saxon name for November was 'blot-monath;' (blood-month) the latter name probably alluding to the custom of slaughtering cattle about Martinmas for winter consumption.
 
November take flail,
Let no ships sail.'
 
'If there's ice in November that will bear a duck,
There'll be nothing after, but sludge and muck.'
 
The craft book shows some delightful dried flower arrangements and a stunning toadstool, a crochet pot holder which I love.  I actually intend to crochet a couple for gifts.
 
 
 
 
 
I love these two books and although a little dated some of the crafts are relevant today and can be adjusted for modern times the artistry is second to none a real pleasure to browse.  I hope you have enjoyed them as much as I have.
 
See you soon.

18 comments:

  1. I've just been watching a green woodpecker in my garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have indeed beautiful books !!!
    Have a cosy day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Loraine! I always loved the country diary, the illustrations are just superb! I didn't know there was a crafts one, too!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them ! thanks for sharing ! have a lovely day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOooohhhhh we do not like woodpeckers around here! They put 6 huge holes in my cedar-sided home! And they are on an endangered list so cannot be captured and moved. Yikes. But they are beautiful on a page in a book and not eating my house, haha.

    I have heard a lot about that Edwardian book - a great Christmas gift I daresay! And the craft one is perfect for YOU, Lorraine - you are such a talented crafter!!!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady! I have a well perused copy!
    The other book looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What delightful books, my friend! Yes, I have asked myself the same question - where did October go??

    Hugs to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you I have and love these books, although I don't have the craft one. But I do have The Nature Notes of a County Lady., and the autobiography of Edith Holden. The pictures, drawings and poems are just beautiful, what a talented artist she was.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adored looking through my gran's copy of the Diary of an Edwardian Lady, loved the poems, and paintings, especially the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have both books , and I pack rat the dorma textiles for quilt backings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love seeing new pages from these books. They may be a little dated, as you said, but so much of it is very classic and timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is always lovely to see these images! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the first book and I think I've seen it before somewhere. Maybe a library at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the first of these books, and really must dig it out. I'm not sure where it got shelved after we moved. And now I have this little fear that I might have gotten rid of it. Oh dear...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the old books. Gosh, I wish I could crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the first one and have owned it since it first came out. I still pause to look at the delicate watercolors whenever I dust it. It's kind of like an old friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Country Diary! My copy is always on display, the pages turned and enjoyed throughout the months. I love the look of the craft one! I I'm going to try and get my hands on a copy :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also have the Country Diary, and love following along through the year. The illustrations and quotes are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete