Sunday 26 October 2014

Weekend fun

It has been a long birthday with many celebrations and parties with different members of the family.  My youngest sister and her family were able to join in the fun as were my brother and one of my twin nephews with his family.  My own daughters were not able to join in as the children were ill, chicken pox is doing the rounds, with the exception of Bertie so part of the celebrations were held at the soft play centre  'you can't have a party without soft play' according to Bertie!  My Mum certainly enjoyed watching him and making all the appropriate noises when he did something he thought was clever.  The saddest thing I forgot to take my camera along so no photos which was a shame.  It was lovely to see my Dad with the little ones he really enjoyed them, although he was a little over zealous with the sweet treats at times.  He is rather partial to a sweet treat himself, although you wouldn't think so looking at him.  I only have to look at a cake and I have put on a couple of pounds.   Dad does get tired easily these day so it was only a short outing for him but he loved every minute of it a great 80th Birthday with some rather unusual celebrations for a man of his age.

In other news I have been waiting for a package to arrive with some special fabric ordered to make curtains for Wilbur's new play house which is a pirates den.  It arrived on Friday so I was able to do a few hems and drum roll please the curtains are ready to be packaged up and posted first thing on Monday so that they will be hanging and ready for Halloween.  A quick and easy job but one that was really appreciated.

While I had the sewing bug I also managed to complete a couple of  Christmas cushions.  The fabric was in my stash that I bought back from America I love the colour and the Santa's on it from around the world, rather appropriate I thought.

I also made some hot pads to accompany some chutneys that I have made for neighbours and friends, a token to let them know I am thinking of them.

I am doing really well with my handmade/crafted gifts I have managed to complete most of the things I wanted to do so I think this may be the way forward for another year.  Everything was made early because of the wedding I didn't want to put myself under undue stress but I am rather enjoying all the little makes with plenty of time to spare.

Do you plan and make things early or are you a last minute person?

See you soon.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing weekend - the curtains look wonderful, thank you mama! Wilbur's going to love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you are always doing stuff with the family, makes life worth living doesn't it? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does. We try to see our family as much as possible and are in contact with our daughters on a daily basis.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday wishes to your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you always amaze me with how busy you keep yourself making beautiful items. Your throw pillows are lovely and will look so nice out at Christmastime.

    Have a wonderful week, sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The birthday celebration sounded great, minus the missing family members due to chicken pox. I love those curtains. I made a pirate outfit for my oldest when he was little and he had a est made out of very similar fabric.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been busy and all your sewing project look great. The hot pads will make a nice gift to go with your preserves, very thoughtful. Hope your week is off to a great start. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your birthday sounds to have been a wonderful success. The pirate curtains are brilliant and I bet Wilbur will be so excited when they are received. I love the idea of hot pads, your friends and family will find them so useful.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some lovely fabrics. What a busy lady you are - I admire your energy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful fabrics and creations ! You are well prepared for Christmas !!! You must be an organized person...not like me...
    Have a great week !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've accomplished a lot! Congratulations! Those curtains are adorable for the play house/pirate den! Early or last minute? I always want to do things early but tend to be last minute most of the time. :-/ I have managed to get started on a couple of things for Christmas over the past week or so though. So, maybe there's hope for me. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric was ordered by my daughter and delivered to me. I made them as soon as the fabric arrived, so I am going to say early.

      Delete
  11. Wow, Mama! I am impressed and inspired by all you have accomplished! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sewing is beautiful! Looks very professional! You get so much done! Makes me want to get busy or "Busier:! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. my nerves would be shot if I waited until the last minute. I am a planner and list maker to ensure it will happen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your sewing! are hotpads difficult to make? they look quite straight forward but I have difficulty even sewing on buttons!
    Off to try and hem a woolen curtain now...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your cushion! That fabric is adorable. What a fab idea for a Christmas gift - homemade chutney and a hot pad - I think I may borrow that idea if I may? ;)

    ReplyDelete